Four years old Sonam was eating turmeric (titiri) when its seed entered the wind pipe and landed in the lungs. He died about a week later in hospital.
The Doctor who operated on the child could not remove the stone. He died in hospital. Many questions have lingered in my mind.
Was it professional inefficiency that caused the death or did the doctor try hard enough but the force of nature was stronger? Even if it is professional inefficiency, then how do we prove that?
Meanwhile, family members have accepted it as a fate. When Sonam was about two and three years old, he had inserted a maize grain in his ear and a pulse grain at another time. The tsip passed the verdict that his life was complete at four years.
Several times in the evening I have been to shops nearer hospital to pick up my wife or to buy medicines. I have noticed that people wearing white shirts would be puffing white clouds of smoke inside the crowded place. Beer bottles would be all over the table. The irony is that, hospital staff advises people not to smoke and drink. They spend millions educating people on the media but if one goes to shops nearer hospitals, reality is murkier.